The LAV filters package contains an audio decoder, a video decoder and a multi-format media splitter which work together for hassle-free playback every time.
It contains the following video codecs: H264, VC-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4-ASP (Divx/Xvid), VP8, MJPEG etc.; the audio codecs it provides you with are AAC, AC3, DTS (-HD), TrueHD, MP3/MP2, Vorbis, LPCM etc. and it also offers support for VOB, DVB Subs, PGS, SRT, SSA/ASS and text subtitles and for Blu-rays.
LAV Filters megamix
version includes applications that make your multimedia experience more enjoyable than ever. The pack is bundled with:
- LAV Splitter, Audio and Video;
- XySubFilter, DirectVobSub;
- Media Player .NET, MPC-HC (lite), PotPlayer;
- and madVR.
It can also download: H.264 MVC 3D Decoder, DirectX 10 and .NET Framework.
A precaution you need to take when installing LAV Filters on your computer is to uninstall the Haali Media Splitter
or rename its AX file, as it forces all players to use it and it denies priority to LAV Filters.
LAV Filters also has demuxing capabilities; it can demux sub-streams and media files into their elementary streams so you can play Blu-rays on your computer.
Moreover, the video component of this virtual item supports multi-threading, hardware and software deinterlacing and it allows hardware acceleration as well.
The audio decoder offers support for bitstreaming via HDMI and S/PDIF to the receiver with audio-video synchronization and audio delaying options.
Lately, LAV Filters provides support for VP7 videos and it has implemented a WMV9 MFT decoder that replaces the old DMO decoder for VC-1/WMV3 on Windows 7 and above.
All things considered, LAV Filters is a great addition to your system, as it ensures excellent media playback and it uses a low amount of your system resources. Once you install it on your computer, you can play virtually any media content.
Changes to LAV Filters 0.75.1
+ LAV Splitter
- Changed: AV1 files with no extradata will now generate a format header with stream information for decoders to use
- Fixed: Improved stream selection when multiple "default" video tracks are present
+ LAV Video
- Changed: Updated dav1d for significant improvements in AV1 10-bit decoding performance
- Changed: AV1 hardware decoding will more reliably engage when provided with additional stream information from the demuxer
+ LAV Audio
- Fixed: Opus decoding had audible artifacts in some files in 0.75
- Not all containers are equally supported, so some formats may fail in one container and work in another.
- Also note that "tested" doesn't mean it won't fail eventually. There are many combinations of codecs, and its impossible to test all of them for developer.
They are based on libavformat and libavcodec libraries from the ffmpeg project, which means that you can play almost any format as long as you use a DirectShow player.