MPC-BE has been created by Russian developers and compared to MPC–HC
it has some additional features and various bug fixes.
Users benefit from an option for removing tearing, multi-monitor support, color management, On Screen Display info, and various pixel shaders.
The player is available in 22 languages.
Furthermore, MPC-BE offers improved support for Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10, due to the 64-bit build; it can play and record television when a TV tuner is installed, it supports most subtitle types and it provides support for EVR/EVR CP.
Alterations compared to MPC–HC include added, changed and fixed features. For instance, added features are the support for opening CUE format files, support for displaying subtitles from stereoscopic pictures, VSFilters.
Changes include handling of AC3 packets, the possibility to move subtitles during playbacks and the folder of the last opened file being selected for saving playlist.
Many features have been fixed as well, and bugs like crashing when the user tries to search for a video decoded by the external decoder have been eliminated.
The system requirements of MPC–BE are a SSE capable CPU and the latest DirectX 9.0c runtime.
Overall, the interface and the user experience have been greatly improved compared to its predecessor.
Media Player Classic Black Edition is far from the Windows Media Player program which is the base for MPC, but easiness of use has remained the same, showing that modern-day players are accessible to all users.
Changes to MPC-BE 1.6.1
- Removed MPC RealVideo Decoder and MPC RealAudio Decoder.
- Added the ability to select a graphics adapter for the D3D11 copy back decoder.
- Fixed AV1 video decoding.
- Removed "" code display for some subtitles.
- Fixed drawing of an opaque frame.
- Added the ability to store the settings file in the user profile.
- Added the ability to call the recent files menu, history windows and shader selection windows by pressing a key.
- Miscellaneous fixes.
It supports various audio, video and image formats without needing extra software or codecs.